Tuesday, 19 June 2018

P4, M3- Research


Primary data research

Primary data research is any research that I collect first hand, this could be through several different methods such as questionnaires, interviews or focus groups. I have decided to do an interview and a questionnaire. I am using interviews to get teachers opinions on how far Deyes prepares students for their futures. Due to a lack of availability my interview questions will be sent digitally over email.



I will also be creating a questionnaire to give to the students, this will be handed out to high school students to gather their opinions on the topic, I will attempt to keep this short as the students may quickly loose interest, here I expect to see a different viewpoint from the teachers, I can expect the teachers to have interesting debates to discuss, whereas I expect the students to generally dislike school as most students tend to dislike school whilst being a student.













Questionnaire analysis


Q1) This question was simply to identify that I was reaching my target audience, I also though it may provide me with patterns in certain year groups, however  after finding the results there where none.
Q2+3) Question 2 was simply a set up for the question 3 as I wanted to know how successful Deyes where at helping students decide or help move towards their dream career. My results have shown me that more students are unsure about their future, and not a lot of them feel like they don't get the help they need from Deyes.
Q4) This was the question I knew would give me the statistics to put in my article as its important to know the students point of view. Also my results told me that students do generally dislike the education system, however not as many as I thought, I expected a much larger dislike towards the education system.
Q5) This question was to show me how the students feel about the facilities available to them, to figure out whether there is a link between students feeling like they cant reach their potential and the available facilities. The results showed me that most students were happier with the available resources so I discovered there was no link here  
Q6) This question was to tell me how the students feel about their own performance in school and to see if they have the right mentality of working to achieve something. My results have shown me that most students do not feel like they make progress with their studies, I believe this could be the reason why students get into the "hating school" mentality as they get impatient with there progression and learning.
Q7)  This question was to help me confirm the mob mentality of students, as there is a general hatred for school among the students and I wanted to know how common this was. My results have shown me that this idea is confirmed, the majority of students are not enjoying there time here and I want to discuss why in my article, because of this I believe my questionnaire has been a success as I now have valuable information for my article.







Secondary data research







-They have a very organised and what sounds like successful system, could Deyes be doing more to prepare us for our future?


-Their school is split up into academies to help students find and direct their focus into certain career areas


-They focus on teaching their students the realism in the working world, they give the example of their law academy does with their students, and they focus on the “fundamentals”. They teach their students about “what the law enforcement field is truly like”. This method of using the real life tools and examples of the working world is something that some could consider Deyes to be lacking in

-They want to expose every aspect of a career choice to their students so they can be sure they are not wasting time with something they might realise is not the best career choice for them later down the line.


Laura Gunter. (2018). School offers many pathways different careers. Available: ://www.kait8.com/story/37718254/school-offers-many-pathways-to-different-careers. Last accessed 19th Jun 2018.
-"Teachers, he said, are leaving the profession because they feel overworked. Racing to keep up with top-down reforms contributes to that."


-"The way we do national assessment needs a radical re-think. But if I could make only one change, I would abolish GCSEs."


-" Teaching to the test is endemic and does long-term damage to students’ attitude to learning at sixth form and beyond."


Sam Burt. (2018). Scrap GCSEs and Prepare Students For Life After 16. Available: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/scrap-gcses-and-prepare-students-for-life-after-16_uk_5aa657f4e4b06b6a749ce3b6. Last accessed 19th June 2018.
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/12/schools-children-education-coding-toilet-unblocking-rote-learning




-"It’s only after you have left school and, in adulthood, gained a bit of distance, that you can be fully aware of the gaps in your education."




-"An ability to memorise dates informs little about the intellectual potential of any pupil. It just tells us that they are good at retaining information."




-"In this age of soaring teenage obesity, teaching pupils how to cook from scratch and how to have a healthy diet is a matter of urgency. This would take place in combination with expanded PE classes – without such an emphasis on team sports (those of us who regularly caught the ball with our faces still wince at the memory of hockey, netball or football) and dreaded cross-country. Dance, swimming, yoga, climbing and high-intensity interval training would also feature. In addition, pupils would be encouraged to spend more time outdoors, and there would be greater collaboration with organizations such as forest schools."


Rhiannon Lucy cosslett. (2017). Schools dont prepare children for life. Here's the education they really neec. Available: https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/jun/12/schools-children-education-coding-toilet-unblocking-rote-learning. Last accessed 19th June 2018.
-"Children today are being introduced to technology at an increasingly early stage in their lives and, as such, are often fully accustomed to using digital solutions in their day-to-day lives by the time they reach school. "
-"With technology developing at an astronomical pace, it’s hard to say exactly what the future workplace will look like. But what we can be sure of is that digital skills will be inherent in almost every job."

Charley Rogers. (2017). Preparing students for the workplace of the future. Available: https://edtechnology.co.uk/Article/preparing-students-for-the-workplace-of-the-future. Last accessed 19th June 2018.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34464133


-"He cited studies suggesting between 30% and 80% of all the jobs that exist currently will disappear in the next 10 to 20 years, as businesses increasingly invest in automation."
-"On the one hand, we'll be living longer. On the other hand, we're not sure how people are going to earn the money to buy the goods and services that will largely be produced by smart software and robots,"


Unknown. (2015). Prepare pupils for the world of the future, heads told. Available: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-34464133. Last accessed 19th June 2018.











No comments:

Post a Comment